The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AVR
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been discussed in detail a while ago on this board, but is anyone using the rig these days? Is it legal for recreational use in NY? IS it producing?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have had my feelings regarding using it personally . As for tournament anglers I am mixed between it's use but if it is allowed I can understand an angler would be foolish to limit himself to not considering it when another angler can come top in the money leaving you to watch him win using it and you did not . Burnie put up a great post regarding it a while back and it made me understand using it a bit more . I have seen it on board the boat of some angler members here that I respect their ability and I would consider it as well considering now is the time of year when it produces well and as it also came to mind today as i was trolling a suspending crank bait while going from one spot to the next and was hit more than once . I thought at the speed I was trolling I'd bet they'd hit an A rig , heaven help me ,

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
What's the big deal? There are plenty of people here that will regard a bait as cheating or too easy. I usually only carry them for kayak tournaments for $ but if I don't use them on a regular basis I won't know how when it comes to the money. My opinion is that as long as you are responsible CPR angler and take good care of your fish I don't care what works for you. Use what you like. They catch big fish. However they are a little of a pain I the ass to use IMO

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I never used them yet. Will try some of the smaller ones one day. I saw a guy using one from shore about a month ago. He didn't catch anything. They did cast a mile, but when they hit the water it sounded like someone threw a bowling ball into the lake.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Anybody who thinks its "too easy", or will catch them on it by just chucking it is in for a surprise. You have to figure out what size swimbait, how much jighead weight, how long to let it sink, and then how fast to retrieve it. Once you get all that figured, yeah, the thing can be magical. If you don't figure it out, you will be hauling a lot of water with it. It's a whole new technique, and you have to pay your dues experimenting with it. It's a great technique, and often will catch them when nothing else will, especially in the fall. It's not an "idiot" bait by any means though. Go fishing with (or against) someone who has mastered the technique and they will outfish you like crazy. I witnessed it first hand this past weekend (I was the guy getting outfished)...

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
many good replies here. It is definitely a tool that works under the right situations. I would bet most anglers would catch fish easier on a rattle trap than on an A-rig. It is not "easy" to use by any means.
search Burnie Haney's posts for great info. He has been writing of experiments recently with the smaller FlashMob a-rig.
....but funny to see this post today. I was just telling my fishing partners i wanna use mine more and again. my rigs have only caught dust so far.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Anybody who thinks its "too easy", or will catch them on it by just chucking it is in for a surprise. You have to figure out what size swimbait, how much jighead weight, how long to let it sink, and then how fast to retrieve it. Once you get all that figured, yeah, the thing can be magical. If you don't figure it out, you will be hauling a lot of water with it. It's a whole new technique, and you have to pay your dues experimenting with it. It's a great technique, and often will catch them when nothing else will, especially in the fall. It's not an "idiot" bait by any means though. Go fishing with (or against) someone who has mastered the technique and they will outfish you like crazy. I witnessed it first hand this past weekend (I was the guy getting outfished)...
Did you fish Oneida? I know the six man teams were up there this weekend and the A- Rig proved to be the winning ticket for the guys who knew how use em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts