The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out Sat. AM on a local lake, been prospecting some new waters after work this last week, searching for less pressured water, still searching for 5+ lbs. Bass, I've decided the waters I'm fishing make that a difficult task. i.e. In order to catch fivers there needs to be some in the water!! (I don't dispute these lakes hold them, I'm just saying the bucket brigade ain't making my job any easier.)

Gin clear water, made this new lake tough but I managed 6 bass, including 2 SM and 3 pickerel. Now, I'm not sure what a "big" pickerel is, but I figured the first one was pretty big, until I caught the third one!! I thought I had a tree branch on the line until he started running. With toothy and his buddies running around in crystal clear water, I didn't really get a good feeling for the bass population. Pulled the bass out deeper then usual 18-25 feet, saw a few up shallow but nothing great. There was definitely some activity on the graph but getting the bite was tough.

This week, I have plans to get back to my 20 bass mornings, we'll see how it works out.

Attachments

·
Mission Accomplished
4,535 Posts
Yeah those are some healthy slime darts ... they are a pain in one of my spots. They trash my plastics and are jerks once in the boat LOL I'm happy when they come off.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice... gin clear water, down size baits, no rattles 100% floro, and long casts... these things may help. nice pickeral!
Thanks All - Yeah Phil - Clear water is always cool - I did some reading about it beforehand and the only advice I didn't use was to downsize my line, b/c I was using Fluro and it supposed to be "invisible", kind of glad I didn't when I hooked into that python. - I watched one bass leave a tree, come over to my bait, and kind of inspect it, then he kind of takes the jig, I saw him take it but he must of taken only the trailer on my jig, b/c I set the hook and pulled it straight out of his mouth. This was slow jiggin' / bottom bouncing - I heard that you want to try and induce reaction strikes by fishing a little faster, not letting them get a look at it, it definitely worked on the pickerel, one came on a crank, the others on a jig and a worm, which I was moving on a fast vertical presentation with a 7.0 Chronarch and 14 Lbs. Fluro (Vanish, although I prefer Seguar Invisx 15 Lbs), the fast stuff didn't work as well on the bass though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.