The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick and I double dipped today heading back to the same water as yesterday however we decided to launch from a different boat and cover a ton of different areas and hit yesterday's spots as well. In the end we got 21 bass in the boat plus a super bonus fish. The day was completely different then yesterday as only 2 fish came on the bottom and the rest on cranks. We fished form 6am until 430pm when we called it quits after putting in a solid 11 miles of rowing. The day was very eventful including this disaster when I hooked a bouey line then nick hooked a fish and we got all tangled.
We then started targeting deep water areas with cranks that produced all our fish.

4 pounds​
4 pounds 6 ounces​
5 pounds 8 ounces​
All these quality fish were awesome but this next one really made the day. We pulled up to nicks favorite deep water area and on his first cast looses a jumbo, all pissed off he starts changing hooks on his crank bait, I continue working the area and about 10 minutes later I get slammed and thought I had a state record. After a 5 minute battle I get him close to the boat and its a beast. The fish takes off and another 15 minute battle ensues. Finally get her in the boat snap some pics and release. I will never forget this day and I'm happy I shared it with a great friend.
26 pounds 8 ounces​

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Getting used to expecting quite a report when the two of you get out , this one solidifies to never doubt . What a way to get the trifecta and a personal best . Congrats and great going guys, thanks for sharing the report and some great photos . Great release shot .

·
LONE WOLF
2,415 Posts
I am still in awe from the days events. We always joke about the striped subject (I was joking about it yesterday as we fished) but today it slammed us head on.
Over 25 minutes Justin battled this fish as it towed us around as I steered us clear of any trouble. He played her beautifully as I just lent moral support LOL.
Just an awesome day and we didn't even notice the heat after all this and the 10 plus miles of rowing ,gallons of water drank etc.
A day to remember for sure and I know I will :peace:

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
wow !!! i heard somebody threw them in but that's the first i've seen caught.

·
Registered
501 Posts
bASS

Wow ,,,what a day- great job!! I Noticed the tails on most of the bass are bloodied /sores on them,,,,heard that is a common sign of spawning activity,,,,wondering if these fish spawned real late. I understand when the bass fan the beds with there tails they rough up there tail areas,,,,,,interesting to see these fish with that still on them in mid July....what do you guys think?
Creek:peace:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
holy shit. Thats so sweet! Thats a monster bonus for sure. What did you think it was, when you hooked into it before you saw it?

I love big deep cranking bass. Favorite way to catch them and it produces a large amount of big ones if you can get them fired up.

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fish could still be a little beat up from the spawn but I have caught tons of fish with damaged tails. I suppose they don't grow back completely if they get badly damaged during spawning.

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
holy shit. Thats so sweet! Thats a monster bonus for sure. What did you think it was, when you hooked into it before you saw it?

I love big deep cranking bass. Favorite way to catch them and it produces a large amount of big ones if you can get them fired up.
Considering this was in a reservoir I thought I had a 10 plus bass at first. There has been rumors over the years of a few being thrown in here but only 2 stories I know of, of them being caught and only 1 of those stories being supported by photo evidence. To say its a once in a lifetime catch is an understatement.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Considering this was in a reservoir I thought I had a 10 plus bass at first. There has been rumors over the years of a few being thrown in here but only 2 stories I know of, of them being caught and only 1 of those stories being supported by photo evidence. To say its a once in a lifetime catch is an understatement.
that is amazing. I would be smiling ear to ear for days. I do not know much about stripers, but if there are a few in there, could they reproduce? It makes you wonder if there are more, and maybe bigger. You will be spoiled now everytime you go there, you know that right? Your expectations are going to be much higher now haha. I know they would be for me.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Stripers don`t count. They are just smallmouth that don`t jump.:laugh: However that one was a beast, so we won`t deduct anything. Meanwhile beautiful largemouth there.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I am in absolute shock reading this..that is just an insane catch on the reservoirs..like you said i have heard of a few being caught..but wow..just wow..you guys are just killing it out there..banner day without the striper..just amazing with the striper..and at least now I know where you were..LOL

Marty..do stripers on cranks count..?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Damn, that's a nice surprise....I can only imagine how you were feeling until you saw that beast for the first time coming in......Great days guys and yesterday will definately be special for both of you....great pix and report!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts