The New York Bass Forums banner

3x baits

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Scottb 
#1 ·
The new cyberflexxx stuff is now catchnig my attention. In the past, I did not use these baits but lately my interest in soaring. I'm not talking about my every day soft plastics being replaced by them. I'm thinking more along the lines of specialty baits such as lizards and fries as well as floating worms. I can buy a few bags of these without having to carry the bulk of the other stuff I use...that plus they don't make the smaller plastics I like to throw.

Just a thought, I think I'll give them a try this season. Anyone use them this past year?

#2 · (Edited)
EW,

A lot of guys really like em..

My thoughts: They smell great and are real soft and durable...But I find they get real tacky when wet and the legs or any appendages stay adhered to the body of the bait a lot...

I would bet that they are great C-rig baits in the frie and lizard, floating above the weighted line and all...But I for the most part just stick with the convention of traditional soft plastics most of the time...I have thrown some of the 3X and Cyberfelxx as topwaters on mats with some success...

The soft jerk is the exception for me...I think it has far more utility than the rest of their line...It stays higher in the water, and much easier than other soft jerks...That could be good when the fish are not quite hitting TW but are coming up near the surface...

Mark D

G
#3 ·
3x & Carolina Rigging

I bought a few bags this year and experimented with a mojo rig and a texas rig. I used the T rig for bed fishing. The floating aspect is what really caught my attention and the claim proves true. The bait nicely floats up off of the bottom unlike a zoom lizard for example that drags along the bottom. I too, found the tackiness annoying. Although I don't normally use scent, I did find that Bang spray applied every few casts kept the problem in check. The real problem for me, and the reason why i don't plan to fish these next year is that it is near impossible to keep the nose of the bait up on the hook when obstacles are encountered. the bait is soooo soft that any tug or slight momentary snag causes the bait to slide down. i tried Iovino's trick of 50 lb mono through the eye and I tried the mojo rubber nail as well but the problem was too much to deal with. Plus they smell of Garlic, which i don't care for on my baits. Anybody want to try 'em? I'll mail them to you.

#5 ·
Ronnie Bass Stalker seems to have a "make-do" solution to the sliding issue...He dedicates an Owner Sled Head with the bait lock coil and glues the bait to boot...He seems pretty effective with it and he fishes quite a bit of the thick stuff...

Perhaps he can elaborate...

mark d

#6 ·
Craigo, I was thinking the exact same thing. I am dying to try out the fry mojo/carolina rigged, one of my favorite methods to fish deeper. I am also very intrigued by the new jig chunk the have out, I just wish they made it in watermelon/red like the rest of their line. It seems like the chunk, being soft, floating and durable would be the ticket. I will let you know how it goes.

P.S. We are having 175-200 fish days striper fishing on the Thames River right now. Mostly schoolies but FUN!!!

Happy New Years, ScottB

#8 ·
I'm almost tempted to mention the "archives" for more info on this question as it was covered a few months back to some extent....but I won't. In a nut shell High floating and long life span,tacky when wet and don't stay up on the hook all that well. Good Carolina rigged and eat other baits and boxes.

#11 ·
dont mix these babies with your regular plastics....it'll eat them up and turn to goo.

they make special containers for these high tech baits.

The floating aspect has caught my eye and I bought a few of the soft jerkbaits. But I never gave 'em a chance last season...

Anyone wants a bag to try?.....tell me..Ill mail one to you....

Joe

#15 ·
3x Baits

I fished with them extensively this past season to get a feel for them. I can tell you that the positve aspects far outweighed the negative...they are keepers for me !!!

IMO there is nothing out there that's better for c-rigging.....period ! The lizard is absolutely awesome, it smells great, has amazing floating properties and it's incredibly durable (I've caught more than 20 fish on the same bait over several outings) !

The biggest problem is preventing the bait from slipping down the hook shank. I've had the best success by applying a few drops of "krazy glue" on the head while utilizing an "offset hook"....it works great. I'm currently toying around with a new keeper sytem which I think will be more effective and without the hassle of having to use glue.

Note: I highly recommend putting the bait back in it's original package when you are done with it. It will melt anything it comes into contact with if you don't !

Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.