The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our final points tournament yesterday on Lake Erie. Three guys were all within a couple points for the top spot so it really was going to come down to the wire. For two of those guys it would be first time sitting in the AOY position.

The lake greeted us with a stiff NW breeze and cold front conditions. The prefishing I had done in the two weeks leading up this showed me bigger fish (or any fish) were not bunched up in big numbers anywhere, or at least anywhere that I found. By days end Bill Melick (GL1) took top honors in the tournament with 18.57 and I believe that may have been Bill's first win with the club. Nice job Bill!

Out of the three in AOY contention, Bob Elliott came to the scales with 15.86 pounds, and that was more than enough to take top honors for the entire season. This is Bob's first time in the AOY spot and he told me yesterday he has been waiting 24 years for this. lol Great job Bobo!!!

Erie Results

2013 Final Standings

Some pictures from yesterday.................

Bill with a couple from his winning bag

Ted (jiggin-n-piggin) with a couple from his 17 1/2 pound 2nd place bag

Bob with a couple from his 15.86 pound limit that secured AOY for him

I had 16.49 for 4th place yesterday, and took lunker with a 5.43 pound smallie. That big fish took a dropshot like all my other fish and when I first got a glimpse of it I thought for sure it was a drum so I started cranking it in a lot faster just to get it in quick. Well, it took air right next to the boat and it wasn't a drum! My trusty 8 pound Vanish held up just fine though :thumb:

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
I had 16.49 for 4th place yesterday, and took lunker with a 5.43 pound smallie. That big fish took a dropshot like all my other fish and when I first got a glimpse of it I thought for sure it was a drum so I started cranking it in a lot faster just to get it in quick. Well, it took air right next to the boat and it wasn't a drum! My trusty 8 pound Vanish held up just fine though :thumb:

Of course your 8 lb Vanish held up. It was a Great Lakes Smallmouth. You could have swung it into the boat.:laugh:

Congratulations to the winners.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice report and summary Noel. My pre fishing the day prior, in rather unpleasant weather, showed me a few areas that had decent quality fish, and I thought one area had decent numbers. As it turned out, I worked hard for a grand total of 8 bites, three of which came between 2:00 and 2:35. I fished a mix of tubes and drop shot for the most part. The spoon, which produced well in practice, only gave up 1 bite on tx day. I wouldn't really call my day a grind, but more short bursts followed by long periods of pondering.

Based on the dock talk at weigh in, I think I fished shallower than most. The smallest fish I saw, with the exception of gobies, was better than 3lbs.

Thanks to the club for another fun points series. I am glad to be back from my hiatus in the Deep South. Hope to see a lot of folks at our upcoming Honeoye lake open on October 5.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts