The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've finally received confirmation that I am to be competing in the Everstart Northern Division trail as a co-angler this season. I'm psyched, big time, but now must begin looking into gathering info on places I've never seen. I've never been anywhere in Minnesota, nor have I actually seen the Mississippi River before, unless looking down from a plane 7 miles up counts. Never seen the Detroit River, though I have been to Michigan a couple of times. I have seen Lake Erie a few times, as I drove near it. Nope, never fished it. Ah well, I'm really looking forward to this. There must be maps available somewhere, right?

Is anyone else fishing the Everstarts this season?

Don

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don-

I qualified for the Everstarts as a Boater, but decided not to fish them due to time constraints. Congrats on getting in....you will have a blast!!! Gregg Seal and his son Zack also got in, Gregg on the boater side, Zack coangler. Gregg often lurkes here....

I don't know the Mississippi water at all, sorry. Think mostly shallow and largemouth there.

As for the Detroit River, it will be either St Clair, the River itself or Erie...huge area to fish. There are some good largemouth to be had, but most of the action will be smallies. Think 6-15 feet of water....mostly shallow out that way.

Erie out of Buffalo is awesome. Since you are a rider, you may fish the lake or the river. The river is a mix of largies and smallies in the current. On the lake, a jigging spoon and a tube are the go-to baits in 20-40'. You can also fish shallower, but generally they will be smaller fish.

You will have a blast!! Lucky man!!

Seth V

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don,

As Seth mentioned, my son and I are gonna give them a 'whirl'. Like you, I have never been to 2 of the 4 locations. Should be fun seeing some new water and some new faces.

We have been doing a ton of research on these waters, but, finding it hard to find any 'good' stuff on the Miss.

Should be an interesting summer.

Good luck,
Gregg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Everstart

Don, Your going to love Erie, Both sides!(western and eastern) Non-boaters can catch 20lbs. I had a lot of fun fishing both sides of Erie. I'm fishing as a boater for Everstart this year.
Chris Novack

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, good luck to you, too. Seth, you were right, FHS has the Minn & Mich maps that I need. You doing the BFL Northeast again? I agree, Gregg, this should be a very interesting summer. Chris, that would be just awesome.

My wife is going with me to Minn, and a buddy I work with is rooming with me at Champlain, but I'm wondering if I might be able to hook up with anyone here for sharing a room in Michigan and at Erie? Thought I'd ask, before I post on the Everstart site. I'm a co-angler, so obviously no boat. My work schedule will pretty much rule out pre-fishing, so all I'm looking for is someone to split rooming costs with.

Thanks again,

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Northern Everstarts

Don, Good Luck in the Everstarts, you will have a blast. Like Seth, I too qualified, but because of time constraints , cannot fish. The Mississippi is tough, but overall very fun. I fished with Lefebre during practice the year he won the Everstart up there. Actually, most of the action will be smallies, probably off the wing dams in the current..... depends which pool the tourney is in. We went out of Redwing that year, but I think it is out of Lacrosse this year, not sure. Small jigs and crankbaits worked well for us at Redwing. Good luck! The Detroit River will definitely be a smallie tourney too, either in St claire or Erie.... very rarely is the Tourney won in the river, but the weather can change that. Good luck, if you want to chat about it, send me an email, would be glad to help out. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts