The New York Bass Forums banner

Has anyone fished whitney point res?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  FuzzyGrub 
#1 ·
I was thinking about maybe heading that way on Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any insight on it?
Thanks

#2 ·
I go up there every spring for walleye and have had great success. My brother and I are heading that way next weekend and will be fishing it hard. There is a boat launch at the Upper Lisle Park on the northern end of the reservoir. Make a left onto Upper Lisle Rd (Rte. 152) off of Rte 26. As soon as you go over the bridge, the launch is on your left. There is a 25hp limit on the reservoir as well as great shore fishing along the Otselic River which feeds the reservoir. We usually target the post spawning walleye in the river with a lot of success. There are also a lot of crappie and smallmouth bass in that area as well. The reservoir itself is only an average depth of 12' so be careful if you are motoring through. There is a channel that runs through the reservoir which is where the walleye tend to hang out waiting for bait. If you have any other questions, just let me know. I would be glad to offer any help. Have fun and be safe, oh and good luck!!!

#3 ·
Thanks a lot. I was just getting ready to map a path to the upper lisle area, we just gonna go check it out and fish from shore this evening. Is it a safe area, probably gonna bring the 3yr old and wifey with me (meaning I dont want my son's behind falling in the water, lol)?
I am coming from the Cortland area so it shouldn't be that bad.

#4 ·
The shore fishing last year was very safe. If you follow the river upstream a bit, there is a great strip of shore that everyone sets up on with their families. Your son should be fine and should be able to catch some crappie!!! Let me know how the fishing goes so we can have an idea of what to expect next week. :peace:

#5 ·
Cool, I will let you know. I heard the res has just filled back up (according to DEC website).
So I can get off at the boat launch area and walk up the Otselic? I will do that then, thanks and I will post tomorrow how it goes. Probably head down for 2 hours or so this evening. I heard there were bullhead up there as well.

#6 ·
Yeah, you can park right there and walk up stream. Just cross the road you came in on after you park and keep going straight until you run into the river. That should put you where everyone fishes.

There are some nice size bullheads in there. If you are lucky you might even catch a tiger musky. They are also in their. I look forward to hearing how you did, thanks!!!

#7 ·
You will know if the walleyes are there if there are plenty of locals fishing from the bridge abuttments. :D

I have fished this spot numerous times and agree with everything Dog said. From Cortland, just get yourself over to Rt 26 south. You will pass a small bait shop on the left, just before coming on the right hand turn that will take you down to the bridge.

The other very popular spot (for walleye) is just below the dam. The access lot is just behind the Whitney Point High-School.

I will be interested in your report, as well. :)

#8 ·
Well guys, based on the fact that when I got home the weather report was screaming thunderstorms at 90%, I decided that I didn't wanna drive the 30 minutes to get rained out. So I decided I would run up to Lake Como just to get my line wet for a bit. Well, it turned into an adventure.....
I get there and see some kids fishing from the little bridge so I stop and talk to them, they are catching crappie and sunnies and having fun. I told them good luck and drove down behind the Lake Como bar and set up. The wind was blowing decently and it was real overcast. SO I threw a dropshot fluke for about 10 or so minutes with only a bite or two. So I moved on to a storm swimbait and threw that for about 15 or so minutes. A few little taps but nothing I could set a hook on. So I figured I would try a spinnerbait with the new trailers I just picked up and hadn't used yet. Well, as I am tying on, the one kid, probably about 13 or so, comes over on his bike and he is telling me about the fish they have caught and where on the lake and about his dad and his dirt racing car. So I am casting a chartreuse spinner with a pumpkin and chartreuse trailer on 6lb Yo-Zuri and talking with the kid. Well, he says I have a lot of luck by that tree and he decides he is gonna ride his bike around and he will be back. So I threw to the tree where he pointed. As I am bringing the spinner in, I see a log just hammer it. I figure big, big pickerel or decent pike until he gets 3 foot off shore and I see him turn and just make my drag squeal. MUSKY! I caught one about 13 years ago up there and that was on 20lb test with a steel leader. So at this point I am whistling and yelling for the kid to come check this out as I was by myself. He comes over and a guy comes outta the bar at the commotion and after about a 20 minute fight, I land a 38", 19lb Tiger Musky. Bent my spinner right in half. The kid insists on getting the hook out, so I tell him to grab my pliers out the bag. Now my camera is in the car and I was cheesing so hard at this point and just jittery that I figured I would just use the phone camera (which I have never used) to snap the photo and get him back before he doesn't live. So I took the picture, the kid set him back in the water and he took right off. The kid, the guy at the bar and myself all had a good laugh at the whole thing and I decide, well, can't beat that today so I will head home. I get my gear in the car, tell the kid thanks and goodbye. I open the phone to look at the pic, and no picture. I was freaking out. I guess you have to hit save after you actually take the picture and I had no clue. I seen the kid riding his bike so I told him and said that if I ever need proof I am bringing people up to see him since he lived on the lake. He laughed and I went home and called everyone I could! LOL.

But all that aside, I am still planning on heading up to the Whitney Pt. Res. on Sunday and maybe renting a boat to see what it has to offer.

#9 ·
I love it when someone gets excited about catching a surprise fish just as much as I do! Good job. I heard a lot about Lake Como and even a report of one bass fisherman getting propositioned by some kids mom at the ramp.... Probably fish stories though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.