The New York Bass Forums banner

Suspending jerkbait question....?

5K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  unionbass3 
#1 ·
I was wondering what set up do most guys here use when using suspending jerkbaits? What type of line, spinning reel, baitcasting reel, type of rod etc? I have never really used suspending jerkbaits much in the past and I am a little confused as to what set up would be best for this type of fishing. Thanks.

#2 ·
This is one hard bait I still throw on spinning gear. Could never get that downward jerk right with a baitcaster. I use a 6' rod for the same reason, the shorter rod marks the jerking motion I want easier. Like the rod to be med to med heavy, I don't want a fast tip don't want to have to load the tip to move the bait. If the tip is to fast you use the whole stroke just to load the tip. I use braid for this again the no stretch line equals more bait movement for less rod movement. What this does for me is allow me to not only jerk but to twich the bait and you can spend more time twiching then catching up to your bait.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Union,

I like to cast these on a 7' baitcaster with a 17lb test copolymer line. Having said that, many anglers (like Gregg) prefer the spinning rod for this application, so the bottom line is, your personal preference.

Depth is vital in the presentation and certain jerkbaits will offer unique nuances over others.

The better baits will suspend with a slight downward tilt at the head, which seems to invoke strikes as it gives the appearance of exhaustion.

Rapala and Lucky Craft are names synonymous with jerkbaits. You should have a few of both in your tackle box.

Some anglers will add weight their jerkbaits to gain addition depth. This can be achieved with lead being wrapped around the hangers of the trebles, stick weight attached evenly to the body, or by drilling small holes in the body and filling them with shot or other pieces of metal to add weight. Again, balance is vital or the bait will lose its ability to present well at the pause, which is where most of the bites will come.

Tight Lines!

Charlie :cool:

#4 ·
Mostly on spinning. 6ft-6.5ft. M or MH, with 20lb braid or 10, 12lb copoly.

I'll also throw them on BC, if I need a second bigger one rigged up. That's MH, either 6'6'' or 7'. 14lb copoly.

Dom, you're gonna have fun. The hard jerkbait bite is one of my favorites. Can't wait!

#5 ·
I considered this issue for a long time a few years ago and came to
this conclusion. Spinning gear works better for me than casting for
many of the same reasons Gregg mentions and the fact that I just liked
it better. I picked up a 7' 6'' St. Croix Avid in ML and put a 2500 series
reels on it, spooled it with fireline and tipped it with a leader and started
practicing. I found that the casts I could make were longer then I could
make on casting gear. The fact that I used fireline means that I don't have to
move the rod much to get the baits to do what I want. It does mean
that I have to use a lighter drag then some do and that means the fights
are longer and thats ok because, I'm not a tournament man and its just for
fun.

#7 ·
I use a casting setup, 7' med action rod, 12lbs Yozuri Hybrid line. I like the med action for similar reasons to Gregg.

#8 ·
Union, I throw a jerkbait quite a bit, actually year round. I use a casting setup. The rod is a Steve Daniels Jerkbait special made by John Nutter. He uses a St. Croix blank and weights the tip of the rod to help throw the tip back at the bait. The rod is a 6'6", I'm 6'4" and that seems to be the right size for me. Slack line is the key to getting the side to side action out of the bait! I use 8-12 lb flourcarbon, anything heavier will hinder the action of your bait. If you have access to a swimming pool, try several different retrieves so you can see what your bait is doing.

The biggest thing is to match the lure to the size of the baitfish.
Also don't be afraid to throw a jerkbait when the water is very warm, especially around smallmouth.
I have caught smallies in 80 degree water on a jerkbait.

#9 ·
I use two setups for Hard jerkbaits. For smaller, lighter ones like a Rapala #8 X Rap I use a Shimano Clarus 6'6" M rod/ Daiwa Capricorn 2000 spooled with 15 lb Power Pro and a leader tied on. For larger hard Jerkbaits like a Rapala #10 X Rap I prefer a baitcaster setup consisting of a All Star 6'6"M rod/Daiwa Advantage 150A spooled with 30 lb Power Pro and a leader tied on.

#10 ·
""I prefer a baitcaster setup consisting of a All Star 6'6"M rod/Daiwa Advantage 150A spooled with 30 lb Power Pro and a leader tied on."" Joel, are you kidding me ? I believe jerkbaits should be thrown with 6 or 8 lbs test. Braid is out of the question, sorry. Leave the braid for the WEEDS !

#13 ·
Vick, It just seemed to me that with Braid having little to no stretch I'm able to twitch the jerkbait with a shorter jerk of the rod, plus that shorter rod movement really helped out with less wrist fatigue over long periods of jerkbait fishing. Another thing to consider is that up until this year all my fishing has been done on Muscoot, which as you saw this past fall isn't exactly crystal clear. For clearer water, all the spare spools for my spinning reels have either 8lb Excalibur Silver Thread or 8lb Sufix Elite spooled on them.

#15 ·
I was wondering what set up do most guys here use when using suspending jerkbaits? What type of line, spinning reel, baitcasting reel, type of rod etc?
Dom, I use a 6'6" medium casting combo equipped with braid. However, what I use is irrelevant.

I believe you might find it more convenient to start with a spinning combo equipped with 8-10lb mono. As you know, only on-the-water testing will determine what's right for you.

Ronnie

#24 ·
Thanks Ronnie. Thanks to everyone else with all the helpful information. I Am just trying to get a good place to start. I am just getting a feel for the pros and cons of certain lines, rods and reels that most people are using. With that, I can try things that suit my style. I don't want to go out there using the total wrong set up. Atleast I can try a set up that may be best for me and I can adjust to make it my own. Thank you all again with all the responses. I value everyone's opinion.

#17 ·
Good thread that shows you there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I would add that snapping the slack line (not pulling or ripping) is more important than most other aspects. The "snapping" will get the bait to dart back and forth. Work slower in cold water and snap fast like a walking bait in warmer months. If you "pull" your bait will come right back at you.

The only advice I have on rods is make sure its a stiffer rod. You won't get good action on a whippy rod. A good 6' or 6' 6" MH spinning or baitcasting should cover you. The only time spinning gear is crucial is on the very small jerkbaits that weight 1/4 oz or less.

Good luck. Pay attention to the bait and make it as eratic as possible...then vary your speed and pause based on conditions.

#18 ·
I'm with Joel - the smaller and lighter the susp. jerk, the easier it is to use with spinning; the heavier and longer the jerk, the easier it is to use with casting.

Smaller lures - flourocarbon or copoly
Larger lures - 10-17# test braid

Medium - med. hvy action rods

Tips:
Kneel & reel for increased depth before imparting jerk/pause/jerk action.
Sometimes the pause should be short; sometimes 5-10 seconds; violent or subtle action.

Last year I clobbered late fall perch and bass on a 5" X-Rap using long pauses, Power Pro and a 6.5' casting combo. Super slow rod movement just after the pause, got the most strikes just as the lure tried to get away.
Freak'n amazing!

#20 ·
6'6" hvy act BPS Casting Rod, 12# floro; remove split ring from Xrap #10; Use a #2 snap; vary cadence; colder the water, the longer the pauses; remove hand from handle so as not to move lure during pauses; hits/strikes come as you continue retrieve. Hvy act gives me more control and feel for action of lure.

#22 ·
I throw jerks on Rogue MB 664, MB 704, and SJ 663 rods. The 6'6" baitcaster is spooled with Yo-Zuri Hybrid 10#, the 7' is with 12# and the 6'6'' spin rod is spooled with 8# for small jeks like a Pins minnow or husky size 6. They are very light weight and make "jerkin" easy all day!

#23 ·
Hook-up,
Dick's has a nice starter combo on sale - Daiwa Samari rod and b/c reel for 70 bucks. Two ratios are offered - the 7:1 is preferrable.

Use the centrifugal for major adjustment and magnet for minor distance/ wind adjustment. Well balance rod (6.5" med. hvy) and reel that when adjusted properly, I don't even need to thumb. I've taken the brake off and pitch over 15' without a nest.

Love it for a cheap set up and used it last Oct. with small and large X-raps to catch perch and bass for chis' sake!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.