The New York Bass Forums banner

Quantum energy 650 PT

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ben R 
#1 ·
I bought this reel about a year ago from bass pro for 159$. It has 5BB and 1 RB, continuous anti reverse, ACS II, zirconia levelwind and pawn, 5.1:1 gear ratio, one piece aluminum frame, clicker on drag, graphite/composite side plates, wiffle spool, and super free pinion gear design.
First impression was that it had a nice metallic silvery/matte grey finish. Reel felt smooth and free spooling was better than I expected. Drag system use a ceramic material that is very smooth. I really liked the external brake adjustment which make changing the brake a hold lot easier than taking down the side plate and readjusting the brakes from the inside. I notice that the anti reverse mechanism had a little bit of a play in it. That the handle didn't feel very sturdy and wobble a little bit. There is some plastic in the reel. Like I said earlier the side plates are made of some kind of graphite/plastic composite, but still felt surdy. The gear that transmit the power from the drive shalf to move the levelwind was plastic. The pinion yoke was also plastic and the kicker spring isn't durable, infact I had it broke on me and had to wait for a couple of weeks for it to come(out of stock). :cussing: I notice that the reason the handel wobble a little bit was that there was some space between the drive shalf and where it is connect to chasis. When sometime reingaging the reel it doesn't do it all the way. After a couple of cranks it will reinage all the way. You will hear a second click and it will feel smooth again. Even though some of the gears are plastic the main and pinion gear are solid harden brass which is extremely durable. Drag has a very nice start up and is smoooth. Finish is very duranble, but not very thick. Casting on this reel is very nice(cast almost as nice as the supertune TD-X)
Caution not to over fill the spool because the line will creat friction on the stabilizer bar when it come off debriving you of distance. The ACS II is pretty good and keep backlash down, infact on the second setting I can cast most lures without using my thumb. The handel gives you a a nice grip even when they are wet. Quantum service is very good they ship every thing to you in week or less. After many fish caught on this reel, it still feel really sturdy and smooth.
I still am glad I bought this reel and have no regret.(Oh yeah Dicks has a sale on just the Energy 640PT exactly the same as 650 and 600 only with a slower gear ratio(4.4:1) for 99$)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 640PT for my cranking setup and I love it! No backlashes with 1 brake (admittedly I'm only casting heavy cranks) and no problems despite dunking it in the reservoir for 5 minutes.

Great reel.

Mark

#3 ·
While flipping a spinnerbait to a sunken tree I thought I had a fishing and set the hook hard. It caught me by surprise, but the anti reverse mechanism broke on me. I fish it on a basspro extreme 7'6" MH with 40lbs braid. You would think the rod would brake or even the line, but it was the reel:cussing: . I hope Quantum will fix are send me a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.