The New York Bass Forums banner

Need Help mounting Hummingbird Portable/ suction cup transducer mount

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MUDDY 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas; I can not keep the transducer on the boat, where I store it at the lake. I have an issue with it, I am putting it on a Pond Prowler, and the hull is textured ABS plastic. it will not hold
I want to know if anyone has a better idea than this, and if this Idea is safe for the hull
I have a 5inch by 9 inch piece of plexiglass and I want to epoxy this to the back of the hull to put the portable mount on, I had to use a small knife to break the suction, so this works like a champ
Will epoxy hurt the Hull?

I do not want to mount it on the TM, so that's not an option
Ideas and info please!

#2 ·
I would have thought marine grade silicone sealant would be idea, and almost certain to have no ill effects on the hull. I think it's called 5200 or something similar the special marine grade silicone. It's the same as the stuff they use to seal round engine mount holes in the transom. Would stick the plexi to the hull easily.

Otherwise, is there room on the transom to G cramp a bit of 2x1? You can screw the transducer to the 2x1 and just cramp it to the transom when you get there. Easy!.

#8 ·
The Hull is several inches thick, too big a clamp would be needed for me to carry around and drop into the lake. Going with the silicone
Thanks to both of you

#9 ·
Silicone won't hold for an under water application. Use 3M's 4200 (semi-permanent) or 5200 (permanent) they are both made for underwater applications. I mounted my transducer and bilge in my tin boat with silicone and they both came off after one use. I switched to 4200 with no issues.

#11 ·
Not sure never used it. Just making sure the label says its good for below the waterline.

I did add screws to my transducer mount but just for reinforcement. The bilge is still holding strong with no screws and the gas tank constantly bumps it.

#12 ·
FYI...I just found out my friend Seb2fn from the site, used 5200 on his plastic bass hound to seal a hole and it didn't hold. It pealed right up after sitting in water. I was very surprised to hear that. Maybe it doesn't hold well to that plastic.

#13 ·
6000, and a 5" by 7" piece of plexiglass and we will see how it works out. The silicone is mostly behind the plastic,I will let you onow how it stands up. Thanks to all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.