The New York Bass Forums banner

Crawfish color changes

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  HookUp 
#1 ·
Does anyone know, or can they provide a link to a site that provides a discription of the seasonal color changes of crawfish?
Thaks, Gene

#2 ·
A reel acurate way of getting that info is to go to the ramp after dark and check them. I imagine the color changes with seasons, the local food, and of course the particular species of crawfish in each locale.

The range is from clear to black and everything in between.

#4 ·
read these answers and pauls response makes sense....

Dennis Bryant's Answer:
What color is the last rainbow that you looked at? Seriously, the color of CRAWS in the springtime vary so widely from lake to lake, and even from different sections in the same lake, that it's impossible to honestly answer.

Fly fishermen have an old saying that holds true here! "MATCH THE HATCH"! Don't look at the color of the craws at any local baitstore, and expect very much help either. Most craws soon after capture, change their color, much like a chameleon can, to match their surroundings.
Your best bet for an honest answer that you can see for yourself: turn over a few rocks near where you'll be fishing. Then; "match the hatch"! (Just to give you an example of what that could mean: I only carry twenty-two colors of craws, in two different sizes, in my own bag!)

Charles Stuart's Answer:
Crawfish change color depending upon their surroundings.

In clearwater situations, you should try to match the color of the gravel and bottom. Grey, brown and green are common.

In muddy water, black, dark green and dark brown are more likely to work.
Remember that Crawfish have an underbelly that cannot be altered by it's surroundings. Often the bellies are white or orange in color.

Do not be afraid to experiment with different colors until you find one that the fish like.

Leo Watson's Answer:
This is a very good question! Most people don't realize that crawfish change color year round. There are also variations of the color change in different areas of the country.
They change color with the different phases of the moon. The colors can include but are not limited to, gray, blue gray, brown, green brown, orange brown. The best way to detect the current color is actually catching or finding live crawfish.

#6 ·
o know this.3 days prior to a full moon crawfish molt thier shells and take on a purple color.this lasts to 3 dafter a full moon.this is the best time to use a purpleish colored crawfish lure.alot of people use this rule

#11 ·
Camrynekai, :eek:
Wow! It looks like I live in the crawfish capitol of the universe!!! I figured that there were different types, I've found them in my lawn, in a spring that pops out in my back yard in the spring and in the stream that runs through my place, but I had no idea there were that many different types! Thanks for the link.

Tubeking,
Why do I get the feeling that this is a nugget you normally would not impart? Know that it is much appreciated.

Thanks guys. Gene

#15 ·
Craw color

I've been known to carry two 1x1 pieces with some cheesecloth stapled to each and have a guy downstream catch crawfish (and any other river varmits) while I turn over rocks.

Best way I know to determine color "on-the-spot".

And if you got a kid with, he'll love holding the seine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.