The New York Bass Forums banner

Quantum Energy PTi-A Spinning Reel?

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  bmicc14 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback on the new updated 2006 version of this reel? Apparently they have made some modifications to the bail system, however the line does not always end up on the roller and when you set the hook the line forces the bail open and you lose the fish.

Can anyone verify this from first hand experience? I want to purchase a couple of the reels....does anyone know where I can get the original reels from 2004?

What other reels are out there in the $100-$120 price range that are decent?

Jason

#2 ·
I don't have a lot of feedback on that reel in particular, but since you asked about other possibilities in that price range I would suggest the Daiwa Capricorn and Shimano Stradic. I use some Stradics and the only complaint in that my 2500 FH will seize up if it gets really badly soaked. It only happened to me twice in 3 years, and once it dried out it was fine, but it did happen. Both timnes were in extreme downpours.

Most folks on NYBass prefer Shimano and/or Daiwa to Quantum. They seem to be better manufacturers all around. I have one Quantum reel, a 640-PT baitcaster, and it hasn't held up as well as my Shimanos or Daiwas. If you are hearing reports of failures that lead to losing fish, I would avoid those reels and get one of the aforementiioned models.

#9 ·
I don't have a lot of feedback on that reel in particular, but since you asked about other possibilities in that price range I would suggest the Daiwa Capricorn and Shimano Stradic. I use some Stradics and the only complaint in that my 2500 FH will seize up if it gets really badly soaked. It only happened to me twice in 3 years, and once it dried out it was fine, but it did happen. Both timnes were in extreme downpours. .
Mark, While I prefer my Daiwa Capricorn's over my Shimano Stradics, I've never experienced the seizing up on my Stradics in the pouring rain.

#3 ·
or you could buy a pflueger medalist like i did and have no problems what so ever.

#4 ·
#6 ·
I bought three of the Catalysts PTI's last year when they went on close out at Bass Pro. I love them. I have had none of the problems that you write about. The drags are very very smooth and the magnetic bail system has worked flawlessly so far.

#11 ·
For what its worth I picked up my first Quantum Kinetic PTi10 2 weeks ago and works just fine. I close the bail by hand so never an issue with the line catching anything other than the roller. Use it with 6lb. mono and has worked flawlessly to date (better for $80).

I just never liked the performance of these smaller size reels, could feel gears/bearing while retreiving small 1/8 or 3/16th. spinnerbaits but the Kinetic is very, very smooth.

Time will eventually tell the tale but so far so good.
Tight Lines!

#12 · (Edited)
I had a Quantum PTI reel you speak of and The anti-reverse switch stopped working. What ever position the switch was in the reel could be cranked forward and reverse. I sent it back to Quantum and the sent me a new Catalyst PTI to replace the model I sent in even though the one I sent wasn't a Catalyst.
I am happy with the Catalyst so far, but I don't think I will be buying another Quantum anytime soon.

#13 ·
Check out some other companies also....
Okume makes some very good spinning reels like the medaloid, inspira, etc. They have 10 and 8 ball bearing models and are very smooth. I have several reels and not had any of them lock up or give me any problems in any weather conditions. The drag system is nice abd strong also. They probably won't are under the $100 buck range, so youmight be able to get 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.