The New York Bass Forums banner

Mohawk River Report: Lock 6-7 8/3

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bass Jones 
#1 ·
Took the kids fishing late this morning over at the Niskayuna launch. They were excited to go through the lock as I had promised them since last year. I think the highlight of the trip for them was going through the lock itself. Fished about 1-2 miles past the old train station (eastward)along the bike path and and within the hour that we fished, we landed six smallies using flukes (I am using "we" loosely as I set the hook on all six and let the boys reel in the last four.) The 2nd fish of the day was a nice 3lb 12 oz smallie near a patch of weeds. As I brought the fish to the side of the boat, it made one last ditch effort to get off and "danced" along the water until it hit my boat and got my youngest son a little wet. My oldest son got a good laugh at his younger brother. After our fishing trip, the boys said they had a great time and wanted to do it again. Doesn't get any better than that.

Fished the Lock 8-9 (Rotterdam Jct - Kiwanis Launch) stretch early yesterday morning with a buddy of mine and caught a couple smallies but that stretch of the Mohawk was more stained (coffee color) and still a lot of debris. Apparently, they drew the water down five feet around lock 10 a few days ago and finally let the water through either 2 days ago or yesterday (either way it screwed up the fishing along that stertch, plus it didn't help that it was around 85 degrees by 7:30 am and the sun beating down like it did.

The Mohawk is improving but I think the best fishing is anything east of Lock 8 and have been hearing good reports on the Upper Hudson (Lock 1 on up)

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, that does sounds like an awesome time with the boys in the boat, fishing. Just to put a few fish in the boat and let the kids reel them in is what they need to get them hooked for life. :peace: WTG
I too, haven't been on the Mohawk yet at all this year.
Was going out this morning, but my buddy desided that the rain isn't what he wanted to do, so I'm back to bed myself. :thumb: I got my fishing in yesterday morning and didn't do to bad, so why ruin it with a wet, rainy morning, then I could be in a nice warm bed. Heck I don't get that alot, working nights and sleeping during the day, alone. :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.