The New York Bass Forums banner

Monster brown

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  swensodts 
#1 ·
check out this monster brown caught out of the Niagara yesterday by Bob Klemm from PA

31lbs

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice to see a multi species post . Thanks for sharing that and congrats on your last years PB. Hoping to see your surpass it this year. What were the condition and how did you accomplish you goal if asking is fair and you'd not care to share .
http://www.nybass.com/showthread.php?100665-Trip-report-Lake-Ontario-Browns
cut and pasted from the above thread from last year:
The lake was calm and we found water anywhere from 44.5 to 47 degrees. We washed a lot of lures trying to figure out what they wanted. I eventually threw on black and gold stick Rapala. Within 5 minutes of it being in the water I hit my PB brown trout. A 16lb beast that was full of eggs and gobies. We picked up a few more the rest of the evening and darkness pushed us off the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerboss View Post

No, it can go from calm to rough in nano seconds. Sometimes the wind is building in the west, & if you don`t notice the water level rising in the calm east, your in for a big surprise, real quick. I love the fishing in the Big Lake, but I don`t like going there in a bassboat. By the way, I noticed a planer board on one of your pix. Is that how you were fishing for the trout? Any downrigging to a certain depth or just up high?

Yes, we use planers for the browns on the lake. They are extremely skittesh so the farther away and back from the boat the better. Because of the waves we kept the planers closer to boat, approximately 50' or so. From there we typically throw two rods on each planer (each side of the boat). The farthest planer rod is typically 160' back and then the inside line 140' back. As for the down riggers, because we are typically fishing in 5-20' of water for spring browns we typically drop them 4-9' depending on the depth we are fishing in and they are typically 30' feet behind the boat. Browns in the Spring are typically higher in the water column. our boat speed is anywhere from 2.0-3.0 depending on what they want that day. On the riggers we typically go with spoons and sometimes flies. For the planers we use straight stick baits or jointed baits. It's like any other type of fishing, you need to figure out the color pattern for the day, the speed and so on. If you can find the warmer/dirty water edge that is where you'll typically find Spring browns. Some days it can be ridiculously slow and then there are days where you'll hammer them. Average brown for us is typically 4-6 lbs.

#7 ·
Very true Andrew. I remember back when the state record fell in June 1997 in Mexico Bay. It was a 33 lb 2 oz lb beast caught by Tony Brown aboard the Dixie Dandy with Capt, Gerry Bresadola. I was camping on the lake at that time and docked my my boat at Mike's Marina on the Little Salmon River just across the river from Gerry's boat. It was huge news lake wide but, especially note worthy coming out of "our" area by local Captain. As a matter of fact Mike had a photo of the fish and looked more like a salmon than a brown. He said the crew thought they had a King until it was in the boat and the fish was closely examined! The WORLD record coho fell twice while I was fishing the lake as well! Incredible lake and tributaries and one of the best cold water/warm water fisheries on earth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.